Katsina State Government’s plan to facilitate the release of70 suspects facing trial over alleged banditry has drawn widespread criticismacross the country. According to an official letter dated January 2 and marked“SECRET,” the government reportedly requested the intervention of theAdministration of Criminal Justice Monitoring Committee, ACJMC, to facilitatethe release of the suspects. The document, said to be addressed to the Chief Judge of thestate, cited Section 371(2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law ofKatsina, 2021, and described the move as a condition for sustaining peaceaccords signed between frontline local government areas and armed groups. The directive has prompted outrage from legal practitioners,civil society organisations, victims’ families, and members of the public, whoargue that releasing individuals accused of serious crimes undermines the ruleof law and denies justice to victims. Critics warn that such actions could embolden criminalnetworks rather than deter them. Abdullahi Kofar Sauri of the Network for Justice describedthe plan as “a dangerous precedent,” urging the government to considercompensation and justice for victims’ families instead of freeing suspects. Security analyst, Yahuza Getso added that the move “lackssincerity” and could weaken community trust in state security strategies. Defending the policy, the state Commissioner for InternalSecurity and Home Affairs, Nasir Muazu, told DCL Hausa that the release waspart of efforts to consolidate community-driven peace agreements with“repentant bandits” in several local government areas. He said the accords had already brought relative calm toareas including Safana, Kurfi, Sabuwa, Faskari, Danmusa, Bakori, Musawa,Matazu, and Dutsinma, where abducted persons were freed. Muazu argued that the move aligns with global best practicesfor reconciliation in conflict situations. It was gathered that similar decisions by the Nigeriangovernment have failed, as bandits and terrorists who enjoyed previous freedomssoon returned to the trenches. Security analyst and crisis journalist, Bakatsine warned viahis X handle that releasing detained bandits without accountability couldreinforce criminal networks. He wrote: “From December 2025 to today, dozens of communities acrossMalumfashi, Faskari, Kafur, Dandume, Funtua, Matazu, Dutsin-Ma, Musawa, andKankara LGAs have suffered repeated attacks. “Civilians have been killed, farmers shot on their fields,villages forced to pay millions in levies, and entire communities raided forcattle and valuables. “Many of these attacks receive little or no nationalattention, creating the false impression that banditry has ended. It has not.The violence has simply changed form.” Residents and observers note that peace agreements oftenreflect desperation rather than genuine consent. They warn that a “peace” allowing abductions, killings, andillegal levies is effectively a criminal rule disguised as reconciliation. As debate intensifies across social and traditional media,legal experts say the matter could soon be subject to judicial review, withstakeholders seeking clarity on whether due process was followed and whetherpublic safety is being compromised in the name of peace.
Related Articles
Don't miss out on breaking stories and in-depth articles.