Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian says the country willpursue negotiations with the United States “provided that a suitableenvironment exists – one free from threats and unreasonable expectations”. In a statement on Tuesday, Pezeshkian said the decision wasmade after requests from “friendly governments in the region” to respond to aUS proposal for talks. The president said he had instructed Abbas Araghchi, Iran’sforeign minister, to pursue fair and equitable negotiations. “These negotiations shall be conducted within the frameworkof our national interests,” Pezeshkian said. US President Donald Trump has threatened to intervene inIran over its nuclear strength and deadly crackdown on protesters. Last week, Trump said a massive war fleet was moving quicklyto Iran with “great power, enthusiasm, and purpose” unless the Middle Easterncountry makes a nuclear deal. In June 2025, the US bombed three nuclear sites in Iran,keying into Israel’s military campaign to destroy the country’s nuclearenrichment facilities. After the attack, Trump claimed the US attack “obliterated”the Iranian nuclear programme but Tehran dismissed the claims. The whereabouts of the country’s highly enriched uraniumhave remained unknown since the June attacks. Ayatollah Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader, has warned anyattack on the country would spark a regional conflict. Talks between both countries will be held in Istanbul onFriday, according to reports.
Related Articles
Don't miss out on breaking stories and in-depth articles.