Bandit Attack: Zamfara gov visits Bungudu, vows not to negotiate with criminals

Daily Trust | 07-08-2026 05:59am |

Zamfara State Governor, Dauda Lawal, has reaffirmed his administration’s resolve not to negotiate with or yield to criminals as part of efforts to tackle banditry in the state. Lawal stated this on Thursday when he visited Bungudu Local Government Area to commiserate with families and residents affected by a recent bandit attack. The governor’s spokesperson, Sulaiman Bala Idris, disclosed details of the visit in a statement on Thursday. The governor, who began the condolence visit at the palace of the Emir of Bungudu, Alhaji Hassan Attahiru, said the state government remained committed to deploying resources and efforts towards restoring security and peace. “I am here to express my sympathy and offer condolences to the families, the Emir, and the people of Bungudu following last week’s bandit attacks,” Lawal said. “This is a test from Almighty Allah, and we will overcome it. The state government is dedicating resources and efforts to end the threat of banditry.” The governor urged residents to remain patient, describing the security situation as a sensitive issue that requires perseverance and prayers. “I encourage everyone to remain patient, as this sensitive issue requires both perseverance and steadfast prayers,” he said. Lawal also assured families of those injured and abducted during the attack that the government would continue to provide necessary support. “We will continue to provide all necessary assistance to those injured and will do everything possible to secure the safe return of all kidnapped victims,” the governor said. He prayed for the families of those killed in the attack, saying, “I pray that God grants the victims’ families the strength to endure this loss. May Allah forgive those who lost their lives.” Responding, the Emir of Bungudu, Alhaji Hassan Attahiru, commended the governor’s efforts towards addressing insecurity in the state. Attahiru, who said he was a member of the state’s security council, expressed confidence that the challenge of banditry would be overcome. “As a member of the state’s security council, I am aware of the governor’s efforts. I am confident that we will overcome the challenge of banditry,” the monarch said. “We appreciate your condolence visit. It means a lot to the people of Bungudu LGA.” During the visit, Lawal also visited the family of the late Alhaji Bello Umar Bungudu and other families affected by the attack to offer his condolences.  

Stay Updated with the Latest News!

Don't miss out on breaking stories and in-depth articles.