Gunshots as Adeleke’s convoy leaves Monarch’s palace

Daily Trust | 19-08-2026 08:39pm |

The convoy of Governor Ademola Adeleke of Osun State was attacked in Osogbo, the state capital, on Wednesday. According to PUNCH, the governor’s convoy was attacked shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji. The shooting, which reportedly lasted for about 15 minutes, occurred shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall where he had met with the monarch. Daily Trust reports that the monarch is among those who endorsed Adeleke amid pressure from the Federal Government and the All Progressives Congress (APC). After picking up his Certificate of Return, Adeleke met with the monarch to thank him for his support. The newspaper quoted an eyewitness as saying trouble started as the meeting was winding down after the monarch had offered prayers. According to her, Adeleke had already left the hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives when the shooting started. She said, “He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo. “The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.” The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack. Alimi said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the assailants and that no casualty was recorded. “They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said. Earlier in the day, Adeleke had unveiled a N500m Election Violence Victims Endowment Fund for verified victims and families affected by pre-election violence in the state. Adeleke also disclosed that his family, through the Springtime Development Foundation, would provide full scholarships up to university level for the children and dependants of those who lost their lives in the violence. He said the fund would support verified victims and affected families, while a Verification and Relief Committee, chaired by the Speaker of the Osun State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Adewale Olumide Egbedun, would oversee the identification of victims and distribution of the support. Adeleke said the intervention would cover victims irrespective of their political affiliation, religion, ethnicity, gender or social status. “This is not a political intervention. It is a humanitarian responsibility. No eligible victim will be excluded because of political affiliation, religion, ethnicity, gender or social status. In grief, there is no political party. In our common humanity, we are one people,” he said. The governor also named some of those killed in the violence, including Ezekiel Olapade, Aderogba Ajayi, Remi Abass and Kolade Eluyera. “We remember Ezekiel Olapade, Aderogba Ajayi, Remi Abass, Kolade Eluyera, and every other victim of electoral violence. Regardless of political affiliation, they were first our brothers, sisters and fellow citizens. To their families, your pain is our pain, and your loved ones will never be reduced to mere statistics,” Adeleke said. He said the decision to establish the fund followed the loss of lives, injuries, destruction of property and livelihoods recorded during the electoral process.

Stay Updated with the Latest News!

Don't miss out on breaking stories and in-depth articles.