…. As Army pledges to engage 1,000 Youth for recruitment By Ndahi Marama, Maiduguri Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume, representing Borno South Senatorial District, has called on the Nigerian military to intensify efforts towards the rescue of victims abducted from communities across Southern Borno, including the schoolchildren from Mussa and Lassa, passengers abducted along the Buratai axis and the remaining victims from Ngoshe. Ndume made the appeal during a visit to the Theatre Command, North East ‘Operation HADIN KAI’, where he commended the Nigerian military for its sustained efforts in combating insurgency and restoring relative peace across the region. This is as the Nigerian Army has disclosed plans to recruit about 1,000 Southern Borno youths, mostly from Gwoza Local Government Area of Borno State into the military, as part of efforts to strengthen security and improve military presence across Southern Borno and adjoining parts of Adamawa State. These were made known when the Senator visited the Theatre Commander, Joint Task Force North East ‘Operation HADIN KAI’, Major General Abdulsalam Abubakar, in Maimalari Cantonment, Maiduguri on Wednesday. Ndume, who is also a member of the Senate Committee on Army, said his visit was both to appreciate the military and to draw renewed attention to the plight of families whose loved ones remain in captivity. “Most importantly, General, I know you are putting in your best efforts towards the rescue of our children in Mussa and Lassa, the passengers abducted along the Buratai axis and the remaining victims from Ngoshe. “We know you are making efforts, but because of the anxiety we all share and the length of time these people have remained away from their families, I have to continue to push for greater effort,” Ndume said. He noted that some of the victims have now spent more than 100 days away from their families, creating deep anxiety among relatives and communities. According to the Senator, the appeal should not be interpreted as a failure to recognise the sacrifices and efforts of the military, but rather as a reflection of the responsibility of a representative to continue speaking for his people and demanding action where necessary. “Like Oliver Twist, I have come to ask for more for my people. It is my moral obligation to commend you when you do well and also bring the concerns of my constituents before you,” he said. Ndume said the security situation in Borno had improved significantly compared to previous years, attributing the progress to the sacrifices of officers and soldiers operating across the theatre. He commended the military coordination and synergy among the security agencies, describing it as a major factor behind the gains recorded in the fight against insurgency. The Senator also praised the improved relationship between the military and civilians, saying it has given communities greater confidence in the security forces and encouraged cooperation in the ongoing campaign against insurgency. He urged the military to sustain the momentum and intensify operations towards locating and safely reuniting all remaining abductees with their families. The lawmaker conveyed his appreciation, on behalf of the people of Borno South, to the Chief of Army Staff, Service Chiefs, theatre commander, officers and soldiers for their sacrifices. While thanking them for the progress recorded so far, Ndume maintained that the rescue of every remaining abductee must remain a priority. “The people are anxious, and the families are waiting. We appreciate what the military is doing, but we will continue to appeal for greater efforts until our people are reunited with their families,” the Senator said. Responding, the Theatre Commander thanked Senator Ndume for the visit and assured him that the concerns raised over the abducted victims had been noted. The commander reiterated the commitment of the Nigerian Army and other security agencies to ongoing operations aimed at protecting communities, stabilising affected areas and ensuring the safe return of residents displaced by years of insurgency. He attributed the successes being recorded in the theatre to the support of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Waidi Shaibu, whom he said has a deep understanding of the operational environment in the North-East. According to him, the military has continued to expand its presence across vulnerable areas through the establishment of new formations, deployment of additional troops and strengthening of existing sectors. The Theatre Commander assured Senator Ndume that the military remains committed to improving security across Borno South, particularly in areas that have experienced repeated attacks and abductions. He said the government deserves recognition for supporting the military, stressing that well-motivated
Don't miss out on breaking stories and in-depth articles.